Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Parks--Massachusetts--Cambridge.

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Cambridge Recreation Department Collection

 Collection
Identifier: CHC011
Overview Historical Note: The Cambridge (Mass.) Park Commission was established in 1892, with a Board of Park Commissioners. Before that, Cambridge only had a few poorly planned and maintained public parks with no public programs. The commissioners hired landscape architect Charles Eliot and his firm, Olmsted, Olmsted, & Eliot to improve the existing parks and plan new ones in poorer, more congested neighborhoods. At the same time the city acquired Donnelly Field in East Cambridge, Rindge Field in...