Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Collection Overview This collection contains one manuscript, that of A History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1913. The manuscript includes drafts of chapters 2-11, as well as chapter headings and other writings that were not included in the final publication.
Collection Overview This collection comprises letters written to and by Thomas Wentworth Higginson, a manuscript of a portion of his book Cheerful Yesterdays, and pamphlets written by Higginson. The letters include discussion of Higginson's time in England and work with the Cambridge Public Library. The manuscript contains the second chapter of Higginson's memoir, Cheerful Yesterdays, “A Child of the College.” The pamphlets include speeches, sermons, reminiscences, and essays; topics covered include slavery and...
Collection Overview This collection comprises two letters to Isaac Story, one from George Washington and one from Thomas Jefferson. Washington’s letter, written in 1795, thanks Story for copies of his sermons. Jefferson’s letter, from 1801, discusses the transmigration of souls.
Scope and Contents This collection contains several items from the Cambridge branches of both the Indian Rights Association and the Massachusetts Indian Association. From the IRA is a notebook labeled “Indian Rights Association of Cambridge – Secretary’s Record, March 1885.” This notebook contains notes from the meeting of the branch’s inception, as well as notes from general meetings 1885-1894. These notes make up the first 55 pages. The branch’s constitution and by-laws can be found starting on page 270, and a...
- Subject: Clergy -- Massachusetts X
- Cambridge (Mass.) 2
- Ayer, Clarence Walter, 1862-1913 1
- Cambridge Public Library (Cambridge, Mass.) 1
- Eliot, Samuel A. (Samuel Atkins), 1862-1950 1
- Higginson, Thomas Wentworth, 1823-1911 1
- Holmes, Oliver Wendell, Jr., 1841-1935 1
- Indian Rights Association. Cambridge Branch. 1
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826 1
- Lawrence, William, 1850-1941 1
- Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882 1
- Massachusetts Indian Association. Cambridge Branch. 1
- McKenzie, Alexander, 1830-1914 1
- Palfrey, Sarah Hammond, 1823-1914 1
- Rolfe, W. J. (William James), 1827-1910 1
- Russell, Etta, 1857-? 1
- Story, Isaac, 1749-1816 1
- Washington, George, 1732-1799 1 ∧ less