Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Collection Overview This collection contains four manuscripts donated to the Cambridge Public Library as part of a Book and Author War Bond Rally. The first three manuscripts are for the following books: Under a Lucky Star (1943) by Roy Chapman Andrews; Cambridge 1815-1915 (1943) by Van Wyck Brooks, made up of passages of his books The Flowering of New England (1936) and New England: Indian Summer (1940); and Saratoga Trunk (1941) by Edna Ferber. The fourth is of the poem Winter Tide (ca. 1940) by Robert Nathan.
Collection Overview This collection contains one manuscript, that of A History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1913. The manuscript includes drafts of chapters 2-11, as well as chapter headings and other writings that were not included in the final publication.
Collection Overview This collection comprises letters written to and by Thomas Wentworth Higginson, a manuscript of a portion of his book Cheerful Yesterdays, and pamphlets written by Higginson. The letters include discussion of Higginson's time in England and work with the Cambridge Public Library. The manuscript contains the second chapter of Higginson's memoir, Cheerful Yesterdays, “A Child of the College.” The pamphlets include speeches, sermons, reminiscences, and essays; topics covered include slavery and...
Collection Overview The collection contains typescripts of pantoums; notes, draft typescripts, page proofs, and galleys of three published works by Hodges - Serendipity Tales, A Song for Gilgamesh, and The Three Princes of Serendip. It also includes a number of unpublished manuscripts, a small amount of publisher correspondence, several audio recordings, and a photograph of Hodges.
Collection Overview This collection contains one letter and one manuscript, both written by James Russell Lowell. The letter includes a list of selected works by Lowell. The manuscript comprises a draft of Lowell’s essay The Progress of the World.
Collection Overview This collection contains manuscripts, town records, and hand drawn maps relating to Cambridge's early history as collected by Lucius R. Paige. Paige maintained hadwritten mnuscript drafts, correspondence and personal notebooks throughout his research period. Series 1 contains the handwritten manuscript of Paige's book "History of Cambridge, 1630-1877". Each folder contians around 25 pages of his manuscript. The series also contains handwritten copies of county probate files, deeds,...
Collection Overview This collection contains and original collection donated by Olive Pierce and an addendum donated posthumously by her family. The original collection, curated by Olive Pierce, contains photographs, books, moving images, audio cassettes, and ephemera from several projects that Olive Pierce worked on during her 40-year career as a documentary photographer. (The collection contains 89 items, including 72 photographic prints.) The photographs include the following:1....
Collection Overview This collection contains diaries, articles, publications, notes, notebooks, correspondence, manuscripts, and photographs related to the professional life of Polly Wynn Allen. The collection also contains administrative, financial, and historical files on SeniorsConnect, the non profit organization Allen founded in 1989. (SeniorsConnect was also known as Neighbor Elder Lead, Inc. (NEli) from 199x to 200X, and Neighborhood Housing Partnership, Inc. from 1989 to 1993.) ...
- Cambridge (Mass.) 7
- Andrews, Roy Chapman, 1884-1960 1
- Ayer, Clarence Walter, 1862-1913 1
- Books and Authors War Bond Committee (Cambridge, Mass.) 1
- Brooks, Van Wyck, 1886-1963 1
- Cambridge (Mass.). City Council 1
- Cambridge (Mass.). Police Department 1
- Cambridge Public Library (Cambridge, Mass.) 1
- Cambridge Rindge & Latin School (Cambridge, Mass.) 1
- Eliot, Samuel A. (Samuel Atkins), 1862-1950 1
- Ferber, Edna, 1887-1968 1
- Higginson, Thomas Wentworth, 1823-1911 1
- Hodges, Elizabeth Jamison 1
- Holmes, Oliver Wendell, Jr., 1841-1935 1
- Jewish Community of Cambridge 1
- Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882 1
- Lowell, James Russell, 1819-1891 1
- Massachusetts Correctional Institution, Concord 1
- McKenzie, Alexander, 1830-1914 1
- Nathan, Robert, 1894-1985 1
- Paige, Lucius R. (Lucius Robinson), 1802-1896 1
- Palfrey, Sarah Hammond, 1823-1914 1
- Pierce, Anne 1
- Pierce, Elizabeth 1
- Pierce, Laurence 1
- Pierce, Olive 1
- Rolfe, W. J. (William James), 1827-1910 1
- Russell, Etta, 1857-? 1
- United States. Delegation to the United Nations Fourth World Conference on Women, Beijing, China, September 4-15, 1995 1 ∧ less