Skip to main content

Daniel Shaw Papers

 Collection
Identifier: CHC014

Collection Description

The Shaw Collection is comprised of 25 folders of Daniel W. Shaw’s personal correspondence; his papers relating to both the Braman Shaw & Co., and the Shaw & Applin Furniture Company, including receipts and bills from Cambridge-area businesses; several personal account books; and various insurance policy contracts. The collection also includes miscellaneous papers relating to Shaw’s position as treasurer of the North Cambridge Masonic Charity Lodge and bills and receipts associated with the 1873 construction of a parsonage on Roseland Street in Cambridge for the North Avenue Orthodox Congregational Society.

Dates

  • 1844-1879

Language of Materials

Material is in English.

Access

Collection is available for research under the CHC rules of use.

Copyright Notice

Copyright for materials resides with the creators of the items in question, unless otherwise designated.

It is the responsibility of the researcher to understand and observe copyright law and to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyright. Questions concerning copyright and permission to publish should be directed to the Cambridge Historical Commission Archives.

Historical and biographical Note

Daniel W. Shaw was co-owner of the Shaw & Applin Furniture Company, manufacturers of wholesale parlor, office, lodge and church furniture. Formerly called Braman, Shaw & Co., it became Shaw & Applin after 1877 when Daniel Shaw and Sumner Applin succeeded H.B. Braman. The company’s salesrooms were located at 27 Sudbury Street and 71 Portland Street in Boston and its factory was at 54 Bridge Street, East Cambridge. From 1890 to 1968, the Cambridge city directory lists the company’s name as the Shaw Furniture Co, and after 1912 it is listed at 50 Second Street, East Cambridge.

Shaw was also treasurer of the North Cambridge Masonic Charity Lodge, located at 147 North Avenue, from its inception in 1870 until 1882.

In addition, it appears that Shaw was an officer in the North Avenue Orthodox Congregational Society, located at 1803 Massachusetts Avenue (formerly North Avenue), since he played a role in the construction of its parsonage at 21 Roseland Street in 1873. Founded in 1857 as the Holmes Congregational Society, it became the North Avenue Orthodox Congregational Society in 1867.

Extent

1 document box

Abstract

The Shaw Collection is comprised of 25 folders of Daniel W. Shaw’s personal correspondence; his papers relating to both the Braman Shaw & Co., and the Shaw & Applin Furniture Company, including receipts and bills from Cambridge-area businesses; several personal account books; and various insurance policy contracts. The collection also includes miscellaneous papers relating to Shaw’s position as treasurer of the North Cambridge Masonic Charity Lodge and bills and receipts associated with the 1873 construction of a parsonage on Roseland Street in Cambridge for the North Avenue Orthodox Congregational Society.

Collection Arrangement

The collection is arranged into folder level listing by topic.

Physical Location

Collection is stored on-site.

Provenance

Received by the Cambridge Historical Commission in July 1995.

Processing Information

Processing and finding aid by Meta Partenheimer, July 2017. Encoded by Brittany Fox, January 2021.

One photograph of an unidentified woman was removed and placed with the archival storage box “Misc. People.” It was labeled “Daniel W. Shaw Collection” for identification purposes. Fifteen 1” by 2” cards that had illustrations on them which only could be seen when held to a light were given to SPNEA in July of 1995.
Title
Inventory of the Daniel Shaw Papers, 1844-1879
Author
Processing and finding aid by Meta Partenheimer, July 2017. Machine-readable finding aid by Brittany Fox, January 2021.
Description rules
Finding Aid Was Prepared Using Dacs
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Description is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge Historical Commission Archives Repository

Contact:
831 Massachusetts Avenue
2nd Floor
Cambridge Massachusetts 02139 US
617-349-4683