Skip to main content

Kahagon Lodge 131, Cambridge Council, Boy Scouts of America Records, 1954-1977

 Collection
Identifier: 033
This collection contains the Bicentennial Historic Series (1975-1977), 7 pamphlets covering the history of the Kahagon Lodge and approximately 140 cards of microfiche of the “Cambridge Chatter” (1954-1974), the newsletter of the Boy Scouts of America’s Cambridge Council.

Dates

  • 1954-1977

Creator

Access to Collection

This collection is open to research.

Conditions Governing Use

The materials in this collection are subject to copyright and intellectual property restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to understand and observe copyright law and to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyright. Researchers must obtain written permission from the copyright owner(s) if they wish to publish materials from this collection. Questions concerning copyright and permission to publish should be directed to the Cambridge Room, Cambridge Public Library Archives and Special Collections.

Extent

.3 Linear feet

1 boxes (Small clamshell box)

140 Items

History

Kahagon Lodge 131, was founded at Camp Quinapoxet in Rindge, New Hampshire during the summer of 1938 by camp Director, J.W. Clements (the Cambridge executive), Wayne Dow (the assistant camp director and Norumbega executive), Ernest Gould (Director of the Iroquois Indian village), and Alexander Smith (staff member of Camp Quinapoxet). Soon thereafter Kahagon, meaning “in the forest,” was chosen as the Lodge name with the pine tree as the totem. Later a lightning bolt was added to the pine tree. Norembega separated from Kahagon to form its own lodge, Muketahquid 414, in 1949.

Forrest Stearns was the first elected chief in 1938, and in 1946 with the election of David Walsh, Kahagon’s interest in Native American dress and customs grew, resulting in a nationally recognized Native American Dance Team. The Lodge designed its first patch and neckerchief using white and maroon as its ceremonial colors in 1954 and started its first newspaper, “The Smoke Signal,” in 1955. Later the publication was changed to “Kariwyo Kahagon,” or Good News in the Forest. The first newsletter of the Cambridge Council, “Cambridge Chatter,” was published in November 1954.

The Lodge’s held its 25th anniversary celebration at Camp Ted in Waltham, Massachusetts, which resulted in a historic publication of Kahagon by John Vernon and edited by Kenneth Simmons, titled, Long and Toilsome Journey: The First 25 Years of Kahagon Lodge. Camp Quinapoxet’s 50th anniversary celebration was held on July 6, 1975, in which another publication was written titled Camp Quinapoxet, 1925 – 1975: 50th Anniversary by Stephen Surette. In 1986, the Lodge received the E. Urner Goodman Camping Award. The 50th anniversary celebration of the Lodge was held on August 13, 1988 at Camp Quinapoxet, which was attended by over 225 people.

Arrangement of Collection

140 items, arranged alpahabetical by publication then chronolgical by issue.

Series 1: Bicentennial Historic Series

Series 2: Cambridge Chatter Newsletter

Custodial History

The microfiche was created by the Cambridge Public Library in the 1970s. There is no known donor or date of donation. This is an artificial collection created by the archivist.

Processing Information

Processed by Alyssa Pacy in May 2013 and encoded in EAD by Allyson Doyle in September 2016 under the supervision of Alyssa Pacy.
Title
Finding Aid to the Kahagon Lodge 131, Cambridge Council, Boy Scouts of America Records, 1954-1977
Status
completed
Author
Alyssa Pacy in 2013 and Allyson Doyle (EAD conversion in 2016) under the supervision of Alyssa Pacy.
Date
2 May 2013 and 3 September 2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • September 3, 2016: Converted to EAD by Allyson Doyle under the supervision of Alyssa Pacy.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge Room, Cambridge Public Library Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Cambridge Public Library
449 Broadway
Cambridge MA 02138 USA
617-349-7757