Skip to main content

Samuel Atkins Eliot Manuscript, circa 1912

 Collection
Identifier: 102
This collection contains one manuscript, that of A History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1913. The manuscript includes drafts of chapters 2-11, as well as chapter headings and other writings that were not included in the final publication.

Dates

  • circa 1912

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Access to Collection

This collection is open to research.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection contains a mixture of public domain and copyrighted material. It is the responsibility of the researcher to understand and observe copyright law and to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyright. The materials for which no copyright exists are in the public domain. For the materials subject to copyright and other intellectual property restrictions, researchers must obtain written permission from the copyright holders(s) if they wish to publish these documents. Questions concerning copyright should be directed to the Cambridge Room, Cambridge Public Library Archives and Special Collections.

Extent

.4 Linear Feet

.4 Cubic Feet

1 boxes (Hollinger)

500 Items

Biography

Samuel Atkins Eliot was born on August 24, 1862, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. His parents were Ellen Derby Peabody and Charles William Eliot, a chemist who went on to become the president of Harvard University. Eliot received his education at Harvard College, graduating in 1884. He then studied at Harvard Divinity School, graduating in 1889. He married Frances Hopkinson the same year. The couple had seven children, including the author Samuel Atkins Eliot Jr.

Eliot worked as a missionary in Seattle before completing his divinity school studies. After graduating, he preached at Denver, Colorado’s Unity Church. He also established the National Conference of Churches’ Rocky Mountain Conference. From there he moved on to Church of the Saviour in Brooklyn, New York, also becoming active in the American Unitarian Association. Eliot served as the executive of the American Unitarian Association for nearly thirty years, first as secretary beginning in 1898, then as president from 1900-1927. Eliot’s leadership saw the National Conference of Churches merge with the American Unitarian Association. After stepping down from his position of leadership, Eliot became a minister at the Arlington Street Church in Boston, Massachusetts. In 1913, Eliot published A History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1913. This work built upon the histories of Cambridge written Abiel Holmes (1801) and Lucius Paige (1877) by recounting the city’s history through the early twentieth century. Eliot died on October 15, 1950.

Organization of Collection

One item, a manuscript, arranged by chapter.

Custodial History

Donated by the Estate of Charles Eliot, II in February 1994.

Processing Information

Processed by Lillian Weitzman in June, 2016 under the supervision of Alyssa Pacy.
Title
Finding Aid to the Samuel Atkins Eliot Manuscript 102
Author
Lillian Weitzman
Date
2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge Room, Cambridge Public Library Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Cambridge Public Library
449 Broadway
Cambridge MA 02138 USA
617-349-7757